Search This Blog

Friday, January 21, 2011

Homemade Tomato Soup


We had homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch yesterday. The recipe came from Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine. I have to say, the soup wasn't the best tomato soup I've ever had, but it was still pretty cool to have homemade instead of out of a Campbell's can...
Ingredients:
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1-2 carrots, finely chopped
  • 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes
  • 14 oz. vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup cream (I used whole milk)
  • pepper, garlic, etc. to taste

Saute onion and carrots in a bit of oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add cream and blend with an immersion blender. *Insert screaming child here. For some reason he really hates when I use my immersion blender, and I have yet to figure out why.* Spice to taste.

I garnished both my grilled cheese and my soup with some leftover kale, because that's what Rachael did in the magazine picture. It was kind of different on the grilled cheese, so I don't know that I'll do that again. I made Jonah's without the kale, and he loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment