Search This Blog

Friday, July 20, 2012

Cherry Streusel Muffins

I love muffins.  They are probably my favorite baked good.  Especially with a streusel topping.  So with some of my free cherries, I decided cherry muffins were in order.


I used this recipe, and added 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to the batter.  Then I added the streusel from this recipe.  You can see my combined version of the recipes below.


These were moist, but still crumbly.  They were sweet, but not too sweet, so the cherries could really shine.

Muffin Ingredients (again, from bakinandeggs.com):
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp. almond extract (my addition to the recipe)
  • 2 cups pitted, halved cherries
Streusel Ingredients (from preparedpantry.com):
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
Directions:

Mix sugar, egg, oil, milk, and almond extract.  Add dry ingredients and stir just to combine.  Fold in cherries.  For the streusel, mix the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl.  Cut in the butter until the mixture becomes crumbly.

Scoop muffin batter into greased muffin pan (should be enough for 12 muffins).  Top each muffin with a generous helping of streusel.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until tops are a bit brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.



The boys weren't impressed, but I sure was!  I'll be popping the extras in the freezer so I can pull one out for a treat.  No wasting these yummies!

No comments:

Post a Comment