Search This Blog

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Fixing Hannah's Favorite Blue Dress

Hannah has a really cute blue dress that we got as a hand me down from one of my cousin's friends.  But the little string that tied in the front was getting really frayed and tangled.
So I wanted to fix it in a way that it would still look nice, but that I wouldn't have to deal with fraying strings over and over again.  I opted to just twist and sew the strings to a meeting point.  That was quite the process, and I wish I had a few more hands to hold things in place!  But I made it.

And then I had these big frayed ends hanging off still and no idea what to do with them.  After pausing and trying to calculate the odds of my destroying the FAVORITE dress, I went ahead and cut a small slit and pulled them through to the back, where I tied them off and trimmed them.  I stitched over, around, and through to close the slit, and I'm really hoping it holds.
It looks much more controlled now, and I don't have to worry about Hannah constantly untying the strings, which is what she did before.  Maybe this seems like a simple fix, or maybe you're really impressed (don't be).  My dad showed me how to sew on a button at one point, but the rest of my sewing skills are pretty much self-taught.  I can mend things, but taking on much more than that is a big deal to me.

What about you? Do you know how to sew, or would a project like this send you running?

No comments:

Post a Comment