Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Iron Craft Challege #3: Olympics

I was kind of put off by this challenge at first, I think because I was taking it too literally. Olympics...skiing? bobsled? What do I do? But then I looked up pictures of all of the participating countries and their flags (scroll about halfway down the page), and was inspired by the colors. And, since the symbol of the Olympics is the rings, I went with a wreath.

I will always have a special place in my heart for Ukraine, since I went there on a mission trip in high school. So I chose their flag colors, blue and yellow, along with white.  I was going for something like this, another project I've had saved for awhile.

I also had a bunch of pre-cut strings of yarn from my inherited collection (I have two huge Rubbermaid drawers of yarn that I got from my mom a few years ago).  Those cut pieces were annoying for other projects, but perfect for this one, so that's mostly what I used. (I grabbed all of these colors initially but put most of the balls back, except for the blue, and just used the strings.)
I used the fork method to make a bunch of little pom poms, which went pretty fast once I got in a rhythm.  I just threw them onto my Paris tray, which was a fun little game in itself.
I cut a circle out of a cardboard box that had come in the mail, and started gluing. 
 And then I ran out of glue. Sad face. 
And of course, since I'm a procrastinator, this was just last night, so even though it will take me less than 5 minutes to finish once I get some more glue, this is my second project in a row that is not done by the deadline.
After giving the pom poms a trim, I also had a bunch of little scraps, which I put in a clear glass ball ornament. Bonus project! I love filling those with all sorts of goodies. It's really hard to get a good picture of them though. So I guess I did finish one project, although it's not the one I was planning...

Update 2/12/14: Finished!
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you found your inspiration. I knew this was going to be a bit of a tough one which is why we said we were giving a lot of leeway.

    ReplyDelete