Search This Blog

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Teddy Bear Cake

Tomorrow afternoon we will be having Matthew's first birthday party. Since I constantly call him my Chusa Bear (pronounced "chew-za" - Matthew turned into Machusa turned into Chusa), it seemed only fitting that I make him a teddy bear cake. I decided to do a bear's face with a bow tie underneath.

For the bow tie, I used half of a cake mix in a loaf pan (the other half of the cake mix went to cupcakes). I drew a rough stencil on a piece of scrap paper and cut it out. I held it over the cake while sprinkling powdered sugar on top. It's not exact, but it gave me enough of a guideline to evenly cut out the shape that I wanted, which I would not have been able to do freehand.

Here's a picture of all of my supplies before putting everything together. (I ended up using coloring gel for the bow tie frosting, instead of the sprinkles in the picture). In case you didn't know, you can keep a cake moist overnight by putting a slice of bread on top.

I used these Pull 'n' Peel Twizzlers for the bear's mouth, and to outline the bow tie. The colors actually matched up really well, which was nice.

The finished product! I'm really happy with how it turned out. I used one cupcake for each ear, jelly beans for the eyes and mouth, and I made a mini cake pop with some leftover cake from the bow tie scraps, and leftover blue frosting. Tomorrow, Matthew will get one of the cupcake ears as his smash cake. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment