Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Homemade Potato Chips

A couple days ago I attempted to make my own potato chips, based on a few results from a Google search.

First I peeled and thinly sliced 3 russet potatoes. I am terrible at uniformly cutting the slices, but I tried. I put those in a big bowl and covered them with water and let them soak for about 15 minutes. Apparently that helps take out some of the starchiness and gets them crispier.

Then I sprayed a cookie sheet lightly with oil, put a single layer of slices on, and sprayed the tops with oil as well. Into a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes they went. Since I didn't have uniform slices, I had to take some of the thinner ones out a bit earlier, and some of the fatter ones took a bit longer.

I laid them out to cool on a paper towel (not necessary, as most of the oil cooks in or evaporates), and sprinkled them with seasoned salt.
The 3 potatoes didn't make very many chips, but that's okay. They were really tasty and crispy right away. Some were left over until the next day, and they were really rubbery and chewy. I'm not sure if that was because they needed to be in the oven a bit longer, or if that's just how they work. Regardless, I think if I make them again, I'll probably do a single serve batch still.

Definitely a keeper of an idea, though! It was easy, and I imagine you could do all sorts of spice combinations for some really yummy chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment