Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Bob's Red Mill Flour Review

Earlier this month, I got 2 big boxes of happiness delivered to my door.  Okay, not really, but I did get 2 big boxes of baking goods, and for me, baking = happiness, so it's kind of the same thing.  

First things first.  Here's a bit of information about Bob's Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour:
  • Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour is unbleached and unbromated white flour that is milled from premium wheat grown right here in the United States. 
  • A favorite among professional bakers, this versatile flour is great for baking bread, cookies, cakes, muffins, quick breads, pie crusts, pizza crusts, and more. 
  • Bob’s Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour is Certified Organic, non-GMO, and does not contain any fillers, additives, or preservatives. 

Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods is a miller of stone-ground whole grains and a leader in nutritious, organic and gluten-free foods. Their mission to promote “whole grains for every meal of the day” is backed by a diverse line featuring over 400 products including whole grains, flours, cereals, baking mixes, beans, seeds and more. Bob’s Red Mill is based in Milwaukie, Oregon and is proud to be an employee-owned company.  Side note: I lived in Milwaukie, Oregon, when I was about 5 years old.  Cool for me to know that Bob's Red Mill is based there!

The big event coming up was Matthew's fourth birthday, so of course, the first thing I baked was a cake, using some of the Bob's Red Mill 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pastry Organic Flour and some Bob's Red Mill Organic All-Purpose Flour.

In the past, I've just stuck with all-purpose flour for cakes, because it makes the fluffiest cakes, and that's just been easy.  Whole wheat flour tends to be denser, and this was, a little bit, but not as much as I expected.  The cake was still very moist and delicious. 

I also made some puppy chow so Hannah could have a gluten-free treat.  Bob's Red Mill does have a line of gluten-free flours and products, but we didn't get any of those this time around, so I just stuck with what we had on hand.
I'm so happy that everyone enjoyed the birthday cake, because it means I can continue to use the wheat flour in my recipe.

Matthew also requested pizza for his birthday dinner, so I tried some of the same wheat flour for the crust.  I used half Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Organic Flour as well, and it tasted great and rose just as well as it always does.  Another success!
Finally, I put the Bob's Red Mill 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pastry Organic Flour to the test in my favorite sandwich bread recipe, which normally calls for half all-purpose and half whole wheat.  I wanted to see how it would turn out with all whole wheat.

The picture got lost somewhere (yay technology!), but it turned out great! We will definitely be doing that again!

Overall, I was really pleased with the quality and texture of all of the baked goods we made with these products.  If you want to try some of these flours for yourself, go here to get a coupon!

Disclosure: I received Bob's Red Mill products and coupons from Moms Meet in exchange for this blog post.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment