Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Our Homemade Chores Charts

Last year, we came up with a list of chores we wanted Jonah and Matthew to do.  Some were daily, some were weekly, but we wanted to have them all in one place.  We recently re-did the charts, so I thought I'd share.
Jonah's Chores (age 6):
  • Brush teeth every morning (by himself)
  • Brush teeth every evening (Mom helps)
  • Set the table
  • Take out the recycling 
  • Sweep the dining room
  • Sweep the kitchen
  • Vacuum the living room rugs (we discovered the vacuum is a bit heavy yet, so his job is to get the vacuum out and plugged in for me and then put it away)
  • Do his laundry
  • Wash dishes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Matthew's Chores (age 4) are similar:
  • Brush teeth every morning (by himself)
  • Brush teeth every evening (Mom helps)
  • Clear the table
  • Take out the compost
  • Get the upstairs garbage
  • Sweep the dining room
  • Sweep the kitchen
  • Dust
  • Do his laundry
  • Wash dishes on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday
Once we had our list for each kid, along with a dollar amount assigned to each one, I hopped onto the computer and found clip art to correspond.  A Google search got me pictures of the different coins, and I was able to find pictures that went along with each chore as well.
Some have multiple steps, like laundry.  So I included a picture for each step: wash, dry, fold, put away. (Read a bit more about how I got the boys to do their own laundry here)
Then I added boxes, and printed them out.  I laminated them, and the boys mark off their chores each day as part of their nightly routine.  If they do everything for the week, they've made $0.96, and they can cross off the box at the bottom to get 4 extra pennies.  This also encourages them to keep track so they can get A WHOLE DOLLAR. That's a big deal.

What do you use for keeping track of chores?

No comments:

Post a Comment