Search This Blog

Friday, July 12, 2013

Camera or iPhone? Or...Both?

In this month's goals post, I mentioned the decision I was trying to make between getting a new camera or getting an iPhone.  Surprisingly enough, I ended up with both. 

About a week ago, we got a Canon Powershot SX500 on sale at Target for $100 off.  (We did splurge and get the 3-year "if anything happens to it, it gets fixed or replaced" plan, based on my previous history with 2 cameras dying for no apparent reason at about the 3 year mark).  The sale was at the right time, we had the money for it, and we had family in town that we see about once a year, with whom I wanted pictures.  It made sense.

Fast forward to later in the week.  My husband found out that the church where he is a pastor is going to start paying for his cell phone, since he uses it mostly for church-related things, and since his number is the one printed in all of the church ads and whatnot.  My Tracfone was almost out of minutes (again), so we discussed getting me a different phone.  We will be paying about $10 plus taxes more than what we were paying before for me to have the smartphone, which when you factor in the cost of the Tracfone minutes I was buying, is actually a pretty good deal.  It made sense.

So now I have both.  I love the quality of the pictures the camera takes, and even with the option to take pictures on the phone, I still prefer taking them with an actual camera.  With the phone, I like having all of my money-saving apps available to me, I like being able to check the weather with one touch of a button, and I like the ease of it (once I got past the learning curve). 

But. I don't like how easy it is to pick up the phone to check one quick thing and get distracted checking every little thing because I can, because it's there.  I have to work on limits.  Good thing I'm still planning on doing the Unwired challenge!  I'm sure I'll have more thoughts on this as time goes on, but for now, I think it's a good thing that I have both.

No comments:

Post a Comment