Search This Blog

Friday, December 14, 2012

Homemade Christmas Presents: Tile Coasters

One of my favorite parts of Christmas is creating and giving homemade gifts.  I always try to come up with something personalized that the person will really love and use.  I have seen several variations of these tile photo coasters around the blogs, and I knew I wanted to try them.

Materials:
  • 4 or 5 plain white tiles ($0.16 each at Home Depot)
  • Scrap felt for feet (so they don't scratch the table)
  • Hot glue
  • 4x6 photos, trimmed to size
  • Mod Podge and a paintbrush
 After laying down some of my favorite comics (love Baby Blues!), I cut out some scrap felt squares for the "feet" for the coasters. 

I also trimmed my 4x6 photos to fit. 


Then I hot glued the felt to the bottom of the tiles.

And finally, I painted on a layer of Mod Podge.  It looks terribly streaky at first, but it does all soak into the paper and dry after a bit.  According to the bottle, you need to wait at least 15-20 minutes between layers, but I waited a little longer than that.

I ended up doing 5 layers of Mod Podge, and then I sprayed them with some clear fixitive to seal them.


Then I wrapped them up with some pretty ribbon and ta da! Homemade present!


Also, please excuse the messiness of my table in the photos.  A lot of crafting and baking has been happening here over the past few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment